Saturday, October 23

Europe trip 2010

Chapter 1

 

I was off to Europe again in July for 3 weeks.  At the beginning I journeyed alone, then my best friend Yan joined me.  I’ve seen a few more places, met and talked to some very interesting people, learned so much about Europe history and of course, took so many beautiful pictures!

 

Anyway, I will lift the veil now and show you what I saw.

 

DSC_0393 copy DSC_0405 copy

 

The Schonefeld airport in Berlin was quite small, unfortunately.  I had, however, successfully managed to find my way to the Berlin Hauptbahnhof for my train to my first stop - Dresden.  I saved my yoghurt on the flight, and only swallowed it when I found the train to the Berlin city centre!

 

DSC_0422 copy DSC_0423 copy

 

I was showered in the beautiful Berlin sunshine.  The weather was so awfully nice!  I had an hour or two walking around the Hauptbahnhof, I wrote my first journey entry sitting under the bridge shade, overlooking the beautiful River Spree.

 

A good start!

 

DSC_0433 copy

 

…or not.  I wouldn’t say my short train ride from Berlin to Dresden wasn’t eventful.  First, silly me forgot to bring the credit card which I used to buy my train tickets, so I had to buy a new ticket (and holy cow, I bought a few tickets using that credit card!); and second, the air-con on the train was kaputt!  Now that was very unforgiveable!  Those nice people who shared the little compartment with me on the train were really nice, they thought I could speak German - well, I sort of do, but it just wasn’t so good as expected - so they kept talking in German to me, haha, to my surprise I understood them quite well!  The picture was a good one :)  We had to fan ourselves!  It was too damn hot!  Even I was sweating!

 

Things got weirder.

 

After I arrived Dresden looking quite as un-beautiful as one can be (well, that’s how you’re gonna look after 13 hours on a plane), I bumped into my friend on the tram to my hostel.  Now, that was a very curious thing.  This German friend I had never met before, he’s a friend’s friend, whom I supposed to meet only afterwards.  I was sitting there when he got up the train, we were staring at each other, he basically just came up and asked me “Are you Joey????!!” and I was dumbfounded.  How small is Dresden!  How amazing is this world!  (Until now I still cannot explain why he could just recognise me as we had never met before, may be it was very obviously that I look like… a Joey!)  Anyway, he was leaving town at that time, so we were to meet later on.

 

DSC_0436 copy

 

My hostel overlooking a beautiful European-style building.

 

So finally I was there in Dresden, alone!  I managed it!  This was the first time I travelled alone to so far away, alone.  It was wonderful experience, I fell in love with it only afterwards - I didn’t enjoy it so much at the beginning, this I have to admit.