Thursday, November 12

3 apples + 3 bottles of water

Date: 8 Nov 2009

Venue: Yim Tin Tsai Village, Sai Kung

 

A touch of coolness announcing the arrival of the winter.  Being a Hongkonger, I still am so amazed at how dramatic the weather is here: last weekend the sun was shining above my head, boiling my black shiny hair; the next day the temperature dropped 10 degrees and I found myself wearing a sweater to work.  After a week of sunshine, finally it’s time for winter.

 

Last week I had a little trip with my colleague-friend, Kimmy, to a small island in Sai Kung, it was some unknown island years ago - I didn’t even know it exist - but today it is a hot hide-away spot.  It is called Yim Tin Tsai Village.

 

Next to the Sai Kung pier, there are quite some stalls selling boat tickets to different islands, take a look around, you’d notice this little stall with all the posters and newspaper clippings of Yim Tin Tsai.  A return trip costs only HK$35.

 

DSC_0043-1 DSC_0046-1

Sai Kung is not far from where I live, it’s always been my favourite district.  You get to see the sea, the boats, the mountains, the islands, BBQ spots, great seafood restaurants… it has basically everything, oh and green curry :)

 

DSC_0045-1 DSC_0049-1

Off we go to the treasure island!

 

It was a 10-minute voyage.  There was a local tour on the boat with us, they had fliers of Yim Tin Tsai!  I peeked and saw one of the pages introducing the history of the village… ah, how I wish I had a copy.  I listened to Kimmy, forgetting not to give her some proper response.  It was very pleasant, being on a boat, enjoying the sunshine, feeling the breeze… making it hard for me to concentrate.  I want to live under the beautiful sunshine every day!

 

DSC_0053-1

Da da!  Here we were!  The small but nice hidden village, far from the city noises and pollution.  One day I will buy a house in Sai Kung!

 

House

The first thing we saw: a deteriorated house.  The front door was looking sharp still, I went inside the house on my own as Kimmy was too scared (:p).  It was a very old-fashioned house, everything was broken but it fascinated me somehow.  The sunlight shone through the broken roof, it was cool inside, I was very much at ease, wondering why would Kimmy be scared…

 

DSC_0064-1creative, no?

The next thing - I saw a group of primary students, they were in school uniforms and chirping like birds, lively and kicking.  I can’t remember I was ever so enthusiastic about any school trips.  Since I had forgotten my bottle of water, I went into a furnished store - full of visitors, so loud and crowded.

 

DSC_0067-1

This was what made the village so famous.  The villagers made their living by trading salt… hm, I don’t have anything else to add :p

 

crab DSC_0071-1

Being adventurous, I “ventured” to take pictures of the very fast-moving crabs!! They were so ugly, so colourful, so small yet so incredibly quick!

 

Green

We walked, walked, talked, talked and definitely enjoyed everything else.

 

DSC_0095-1

It was the first time I hiked with Kimmy.  The experience wasn’t like the ones I had with Po and Yan, but still, it was amiable :D

 

things

There was a new (well it surely looked like it) church en route, we didn’t go inside because of the mass, we heard people singing.  When we were walking pass those empty houses, my imagination ran wild and we quickened our paces whenever there was a house, haha. Girls, we are so sweet!

 

DSC_0105-1

Here is a picture of beautiful Kimmy Wong!  She’s amazing, cheerful and smiling all the time!

 

posts

Unfortunately we didn’t stay long… I’d have loved to stay longer to explore this island, it was small but we didn’t really walk around it all.  Next time then!

 

DSC_0135-1

The last picture of the day :)  Crazily busy Hongkies, take some time off to see how beautiful this place you’re living in!

 

Back to the Sai Kung pier, it was all very romantic: the sun was setting and thousands of people dream-walking.  3 young guys drawing with water colours drew my attention immediately, wah, they were amazing!  I want to be able to draw as well…  soon I will check out the drawing classes!